Happy Monday! Welcome to the 17 new freelancers who’ve joined us since the last edition.
Each morning, we send out a short email with news, tips, and tricks to help you build high-income freelance skills that pay the bills.
Mentioned in today’s memo: Microsoft, OpenAI, Google, and podcasts. Plus one easy way to upsell existing clients, and why hot takes make the best cold ads.
Read time: 2 minutes and 9 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Bing search engine now powered by GPT-4. Microsoft’s forgotten search engine is suddenly in the spotlight, as they test an updated version backed by OpenAI’s latest large language model, GPT-4. And according to this report from The Verge, it’s pretty freakin’ good. Meanwhile…
- Google’s AI chatbot makes a mistake in public demo. Bard, Google’s eagerly anticipated response to ChatGPT, said the James Webb Telescope “took the very first picture of a planet outside our own solar system.” Spoiler alert: that photo was actually taken by another telescope almost 20 years ago. Woops.
- New podcasts launched in 2022 dropped by 80%. It’s not the only sign the industry is slowing down, either: U.S. weekly and monthly listenership declined for the first time ever in December, according to new data from Edison.
Working With Clients
One Easy Way to Upsell Existing Clients
Send out a short summary after you finish a client project.
This should include:
- The goal
- Quick breakdown of the work you did
- Results (was the goal met? why or why not?)
- Potential next steps
Easy way to show accountability + upsell them on the next project.
From The Paid Ads Gig
Why Hot Takes Make the Best Cold Ads
Need a winning ad angle? Create controversy.
By challenging mainstream wisdom.
Find out where you (or your client) disagree with commonly held beliefs of the audience…
Then turn that into your hook.
Controversial ideas are almost impossible to ignore.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Copywriter / Content Marketing
- Cosmetic Seo Copywriter
- Google Ads Audit
- Facebook and Instagram Campaign set up
- Lead generation and E-mail Marketing
- Looking for Amazing Graphic Designer
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients.
Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“If hard work is the key to success, most people would rather pick the lock.”
— Claude McDonald
Share this on Twitter 🐦
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI. Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)