Happy Tuesday! Mentioned in today’s newsletter: Pinterest, Twitter, TikTok, Elon Musk, and the Department of Justice. Plus how new freelancers can set themselves apart without a proven track record, case studies, or testimonials.
Let’s get into it…
Making the Rounds
- Pinterest to acquire AI shopping platform The Yes. It’s all hands on deck for everyone not named TikTok. And with TikTok’s recent push into shoppable content, it looks like Pinterest is feeling the heat too. The pending acquisition could bring personalized, AI-driven shopping feeds to a board near you.
- Antitrust review window expires on Elon’s Twitter acquisition. The SEC may be investigating the late disclosure of his initial Twitter stake, but it looks like the Department of Justice is going to pass on an antitrust review of Elon’s takeover bid.
- TikTok announces Trend Discovery tool. It’s no Ad Library, but now you can see top-performing videos, songs, creators, and hashtags inside the Creative Center.
Working With Clients
Need For Speed
Struggling to set yourself apart as a freelancer?
Here’s an easy way to do it even if you don’t have a portfolio full of big wins or a laundry list of testimonials…
Learn to work fast.
And then don’t be afraid to advertise it.
You see, one of the biggest concerns clients have when hiring freelancers is speed.
This is typically because of bad experiences in the past…
(with freelancers missing deadlines, ghosting them, or both)
Or simply because they need it turned around ASAP.
And if you can speak directly to that fear, you’ll have no trouble closing deals.
Now, you can’t just snap your fingers and make yourself work three times faster…
So here’s a few tips to help you put the pedal to the metal:
- Close all open tabs
- Put your phone on Do Not Disturb
- Create an outline or wireframe first
- Use a timer
- Listen to non-lyrical music (binaural beats, lo-fi, etc)
And don’t forget: the faster you work, the more you can jack up your effective hourly rate.
Working For Yourself
Not All Athletes Wear Gym Shorts
Being your own boss sounds pretty great in theory…
But in practice, it’s a lot harder than it looks.
That’s because there’s no one watching over your shoulder to hold you accountable if you show up late, call in sick, or botch that TPS report.
So if you’re struggling to build momentum or hit the next income goal in your freelance biz…
Here’s some advice:
Start treating your life like a pro athlete.
Even though you may not feel like an athlete…
Your goals are the same:
Performing at a high level and sustaining that performance over the course of an entire season.
This can mean:
- Waking up and going to bed at the same time each day
- Developing a morning routine
- Eating healthy
- Exercising regularly
- Finding ways to relax and de-stress
The more seriously you take your day-to-day habits and routines…
The better results you’ll see inside your business.
Tools We Love
So Quick it Should’ve Had a Cameo in 2 Fast 2 Furious
WordPress powers 37% of all websites on the internet.
But with over 31,000+ themes to choose from, setting up your own WordPress website can be more than a little daunting.
That’s why we’re in love with GeneratePress.
It’s a fast and free lightweight theme that makes setting up a clean yet professional-looking website easy as pie.
Plus, they’ve recently rolled out a free block-based builder called GenerateBlocks that makes building landing pages a breeze.
Did we mention it’s got over 1,000+ reviews, 90,000+ happy customers, and 4M+ downloads?
Click below to check it out:
Quote of the Day
“Grit is the persistence in following your own destiny.”
— Paul Bradley Smith