Happy Tuesday! Welcome back to The Gig, your freelance sherpa here to guide you straight to the top of the gig economy.
Discussed in today’s newsletter: Twitter, Snapchat, and YouTube Shorts. Plus TikTok for news, and rolling out the Twitter welcome mat.
Read time: 2 minutes and 30 seconds
Making the Rounds
- CoTweets are no more. Twitter will no longer let users co-author a tweet. But the platform is rumored to be considering introducing long-form tweets.
- Snapchat+ hits 2 million paid subscribers. The $3.99/mo subscription gives users the ability to pin someone as their No. 1 friend, unlock custom notification sounds, custom chat wallpapers, and more.
- YouTube Shorts creators can now earn ad revenue. While Meta hems and haws about whether to share ad dollars from Reels with creators, YouTube’s gone ahead and pulled the trigger: as of February 1st, creators with 10M views on Shorts content in the last 90 days have been eligible for the Partner Program.
Working For Yourself
TikTok For News?
In case you missed it:
Instagram’s two co-founders, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, recently launched a new startup called Artifact.
To build the “TikTok of news.”
But the big question is… do people actually want a TikTok for news?
In the My First Million podcast below, hosts Sam Parr ( founder of The Hustle) and Shaan Puri (founder of The Milk Road) share their honest thoughts on Artifact…
And react to a few other big stories in tech right now.
Check it out:
[LISTEN]: The Boys React: Tech Layoffs, IG Founder Starts A New Company & More Tech News
Tools We Love
Rolling Out the Twitter Welcome Mat
Twitter’s been our #1 growth channel for the newsletter.
Now that may change this year, as we experiment more with paid ads on Facebook, cross-promotions with other newsletters, and even sponsor placements in other newsletters…
But we’re always on the lookout for new tools to get more out of Twitter…
Which is why we’re enjoying Hivoe.
It’s got two key features we’re in love with:
#1 — it lets you send an automated outbound welcome DM to all your new followers so you can start building connections ASAP.
#2 — when someone goes to DM you, you can send an inbound welcome message to share what you’re working on (like your newsletter).
We’re seeing great results and a surprising amount of engagement from these welcome messages so far…
So if you’re using Twitter to build an audience or land clients…
Click here to try Hivoe for free.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- I need a graphic designer for landing pages
- Graphic Designer For Banner Ad Creatives
- Ad Copywriter Needed
- Lead Expert and Funnel Marketing Expert Needed for an Elden Ring Gaming Product
- Funnel Optimization (Leadpages)
- Facebook ad specialist needed
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients. Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.”
— Coco Chanel
Share this on Twitter 🐦
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
- Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
- Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI.
- Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)