Happy Monday! Welcome back to The Gig, the daily email helping freelancers build profitable client businesses.
Mentioned in today’s edition: ChatGPT, Texas, TikTok, and Twitter. Plus what your client thinks about those high CTRs, one simple trick to overcome impostor syndrome, and why copywriting is less like chemistry and more like _____.
Read time: 3 minutes and 29 seconds
Making the Rounds
- OpenAI launches new chatbot called ChatGPT. The new chatbot responds to dialogue prompts and can write code, poetry, sales copy, and much, much more. And some of it is surprisingly good. Does this mean all copywriters will soon be out of a job? We wouldn’t go that far. But one thing is clear: knowing how to operate AI tools will soon become a massive advantage for content creators.
- Texas becomes the 4th state to ban TikTok on government devices. The Lone Star State joins Maryland, South Dakota, and South Carolina in banning the app on government devices, as national security concerns continue to complicate a deal for the company to keep operating in the U.S.
- Twitter set to launch negative keyword controls for advertisers. The feature will let advertisers stop their ads from appearing above or below tweets with specific keywords, similar to Google’s negative keywords function for search ads.
Working With Clients
What Your Client Thinks About Those High CTRs
Let’s say you’re a copywriter, media buyer, or funnel builder.
The “product” you sell is actually a service, right?
As a service provider, the “product” you sell is an OUTCOME.
- Product demos
- Sales calls
- Free trials
Clients aren’t looking for another line item to add to their expense report…
They’re looking for the fastest and most direct way to achieve a specific outcome.
And in marketing, that outcome usually means “buying” money at a discount (by paying you to produce a result that generates revenue for their business).
So the next time you’re pitching a new prospect…
Remember: clients don’t buy services, they buy results.
Working For Yourself
One Simple Trick to Overcome Impostor Syndrome
One of the best parts about working remotely is the dress code.
As in, there is none.
But as nice as it is to spend the day working in sweatpants and a hoodie…
Here’s the thing…
When you’re on video calls, it’s important to “look the part.”
If you want to be taken seriously as a service provider…
Meaning you want to be seen by your clients as someone who knows how to get results…
(and is paid handsomely for it)
Then you need to come correct.
That doesn’t have to mean business formal attire, but it should mean a clean and wrinkle-free outfit.
Studies have shown that what you wear can and does affect how you feel…
So leverage the science of fashion to show up the way you want to inside your business.
From The Copywriting Gig
Forget Chemistry, Copywriting is More Like ______
You don’t “write” direct response copy…
You assemble it.
Or at least that’s what Eugene Schwartz, author of Breakthrough Advertising, always said.
That’s why copywriting’s more like carpentry than chemistry.
And one of the most important building blocks of direct response copy is the lead.
This could be anywhere from the first 100 characters to the first 7 pages, depending on what medium you’re writing for.
But the point is: your lead has a massive impact on conversion rates.
It can make or break your ad, email, thread, VSL, or promotion.
That’s why it’s one of the areas pros spend the most time and energy on…
And one of the first things savvy marketers like to split-test.
So… what makes a great lead?
Well, that depends on the awareness and sophistication of your prospect.
And fortunately for us, Michael Masterson — bestselling author and founder of the $1.5 billion dollar a year company Agora — has boiled it down to just six different types of leads in his book, Great Leads.
It’s the perfect crash course to help you write a killer lead every single time.
Even if you’re not a master copywriter.
Click here check it out on Amazon:
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Website copywriting and branding
- Copy Writer for Website Overhaul (B2B/Tech experience required)
- I need a freelancer that specialize in digital marketing
- TikTok pixel setup with funnel for leads and conversions.
- Seeking Creative Logo Designer for Pet Product Brand
- Graphic designer for website launch
The future isn’t a mystery.
Want to receive the latest in business, entertainment, and internet culture right to your inbox every single morning?
Not just the stuff everyone else is covering — these are the stories that drive the future, all in a quick and witty package. That’s what TheFutureParty newsletter is all about.
With every email you open, every story you read, you’re going to have the jump on the rest of the crowd.
And you’ll be that much more prepared for the day — and week, and month, and year — ahead.
Join over 100,000 driven creative professionals who read the newsletter every day.
Quote of the Day
“Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.”