Happy Thursday! Today is Groundhog Day, marking the midway point between the winter solstice and the vernal equinox, and the moment where famous Pennsylvanian groundhog Punxsutawney Phil presents his powers of prognostication for all to see.
We’ve got our fingers crossed for an early spring.
Discussed in today’s newsletter: Gmail, Gen Z, and OpenAI. Plus the 20-20-20 rule, and episode 3 of Inspector Lander.
Read time: 2 minutes and 16 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Gmail ships new package tracking feature. Android and iOS users can now track their packages at the top of their Gmail inbox. Desktop users are currently SOL.
- Survey of 15k Gen Z’ers reveals divide on remote work. A new Dell Technologies study found that 29% of respondents said remote work was a top priority, while another 29% said they favored office-based positions.
- OpenAI releases free tool to detect AI-generated text. Users can paste text into the tool and get a rating of very unlikely, unlikely, unclear, possibly, or likely to have been generated by AI.
Working For Yourself
The 20-20-20 Rule
Did you know your eyes are an extension of your brain?
Well, it’s true.
And while we’re on the topic of your eyes, it may also shock you to learn that staring into
the abyss a screen all day isn’t good for them.
Eye strain, mental fatigue, and dry eyes are just a few of the potential consequences you have to look forward to.
So… how do you protect them?
Blue-light glasses are one approach — and one we certainly endorse.
But another no-cost way to preserve your peepers is the 20-20-20 rule:
Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
This gives your eyes a timeout from the pixelated onslaught they’re normally subjected to…
Which has been proven to help reduce eye strain and mental fatigue.
So if you’re looking to take preventative action before your eyes become a problem…
Then give this new rule a try.
After This Audit, We Can’t Help But Wonder…
Marketing audits are all about identifying missed opportunities.
And in this week’s episode of Inspector Lander, our new weekly video series on marketing strategy, we found a bushel of them on the landing page in question.
So if you’re looking to sharpen your strategic skillset…
And see how we’d address some of these gaping holes within the marketing argument…
Click below to check it out now:
[WATCH]: Inspector Lander #003: TheHoth
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Email Copy for Maid Brigade
- Copywriting for market research company
- SEO, Google/Facebook ads Marketing
- Landing Page Design for Ad
- Looking for a google ppc search ads expert
- Graphic designer needed to create brand and product labels
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients. Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“No matter what, expect the unexpected. And whenever possible, be the unexpected.”
— Lynda Barry
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
- Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
- Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI.
- Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)