Happy Thursday! Word of mouth always makes for the best marketing. So if you’re enjoying the newsletter, share it with a friend to unlock rewards. One referral gets you a free copy of our fill-in-the-blanks Upwork proposal template. You can see the rest of our referral rewards here.
Discussed in today’s edition: TikTok, angry shoppers, and Reddit. Plus the importance of paying yourself first from a business bank account, and the latest episode of Inspector Lander.
Read time: 2 minutes and 50 seconds
Making the Rounds
- TikTok launches new 20-minute paywall feature. Who needs 10-second videos when you can upload 20-minute ones instead? TikTok’s new Series features lets creators upload up to 80 videos in a single collection and charge anywhere from $0.99 to $189.99 for access to them.
- Revenge of the consumer. Hell hath no fury like a shopper scorned, as a new study found the percentage of consumers seeking revenge (via angry reviews or posting on social media) for product problems or negative experiences has tripled since 2020.
- Reddit testing TikTok-style video feed. Our favorite market research platform announced they’re experimenting with splitting out text and video into ‘Read’ and ‘Watch’ feeds, as vertical video continues to eat the entire internet.
Newsletter Shout Out
Get 5 Hours of Marketing Research
in 5 Minutes With Make&Market
Marketing yourself is no fun and way too complicated. But you still want a steady stream of clients, right? Get 5 hours of research in 5-minute emails with non-hacky advice you can implement right away! Join 2000+ smart founders by subscribing to Make&Market.
Working For Yourself
Pay Yourself First (Out of a Business Account)
If you’ve ever read The Richest Man in Babylon or Rich Dad, Poor Dad…
Then you’ve probably heard the phrase “pay yourself first.”
It’s simple, but powerful.
Especially when you’re running a freelance business…
Because the #1 goal of any business is to generate profit…
And paying yourself first ensures that profit ends up in YOUR pocket instead of being gobbled up by unanticipated expenses.
But here’s where most freelancers go wrong…
They don’t have a dedicated bank account for their freelance income.
Not only does this make it tough to manage cash flow…
It’s also a signal to your subconscious that you don’t take your freelance business seriously.
Treat it like a hobby and it’ll pay you like one.
But if you want to build a healthy six-figure client business, then it’s time to treat it like a real business.
And that starts with having a dedicated business bank account.
🕵 Inspector Lander #008 is Now Live On YouTube
Audits are a great way to position yourself as not just a copywriter, media buyer, graphic designer, or other service provider…
… But as a marketing strategist.
And positioning yourself this way helps you charge more and attract better clients.
In this week’s episode of Inspector Lander, watch as Jim audits a landing page promoting a low-ticket info product that starts off strong, but then goes completely off the rails.
Click here to check it out:
[WATCH]: Freelance Marketing Audit: The Ultimate Sales Script (Inspector Lander 008)
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Graphic designer for Mystical Brand
- Graphic designer needed to design an infographic
- Freelance Facebook Ad Designer
- Sales Copywriter For Emails, Funnels, and Landing Pages
- Paid Social Media Ads Expert
- Google ads specialist
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients.
Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.”
— Henry Ford
Going from zero to one is never easy.
But the more momentum you create, the easier it is to move forward.
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
- Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
- Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI.
- Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)