Happy Tuesday! If you’re concerned about the economy and how it might affect your freelance business, make sure to check our free 81-page guide on how to go from zero to 10k/m. Inside, you’ll find our playbook for building a recession-proof six-figure freelance business — even if you’re brand new.
Mentioned in today’s newsletter: TikTok, Project Aquaman, and Meta. Plus one reason why you’re struggling to land more clients, an inconvenient truth about what it really takes to get rich, and the “2-step” secret to blowing up your email list on Twitter.
Read time: 3 minutes and 21 seconds.
Making the Rounds
- TikTok’s aims to replicate China’s $400B livestream shopping industry in the U.S. The initiative is known internally as Project Aquaman and borrows heavily from the tactics used by Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, to become a major ecommerce company in the last two years — including a decentralized network of 20+ TikTok Shop Partners.
- Investor asks Mark Zuckerberg to quit dumping so much money into the metaverse. Brad Gerstner owns $320M worth of Meta shares, and he’s tired of seeing the mounting losses from its AR/VR division, Reality Labs. Having lost $15B so far, Gerstner wrote an open letter urging Meta to reduce headcount by 20% or more and limit the company’s investment in Reality Labs to just $5B per year.
- 26% of U.S. adults under 30 get their news from TikTok. The total number across all adults has tripled since 2020, with 10% saying they regularly get news from TikTok according to a new Pew Research Center study.
Working With Clients
Not Landing Enough Clients? This Might Be Why
What gets measured gets managed.
That’s why, when it comes to finding clients…
You should be tracking your prospecting numbers on a weekly basis.
- How many people you reached out to
- How many calls you booked
- How many proposals you submitted
- How many clients you landed
This allows you to identify where the constraint is — just like analyzing a client’s underperforming sales funnel — and then try new things until you crack the code.
Sometimes, the reason you’re not landing enough clients is simply because you’re not taking enough swings.
And if that’s the case, it’s time to pump those numbers up.
Working For Yourself
An Inconvenient Truth About What it Really Takes to Get Rich
Is it more important to work HARD or to work smart?
The answer, of course, is that it depends.
Most people tend to glorify one or the other…
But in the video below, Alex Hormozi reveals why hard work alone won’t make you rich…
Plus the one thing that matters more than getting up at 5 AM, taking cold showers, or working 12 hour days.
If you want to be strategic about building a highly-profitable business and acquiring real wealth…
Click below to check it out:
Tools We Love
The “2-Step” Secret to Blowing Up Your Email List on Twitter
Twitter’s been our #1 growth channel since we launched in late March.
And there’s one specific type of tweet that’s proven to be insanely effective for attracting more engagement, followers, and subscribers:
This simple tweet follows a “2-step” structure where you tease a piece of content (video, template, cheat sheet, checklist, etc) and then ask people to like, comment, or retweet to get it.
Here are some recent results from our last couple auto-DMs:
- 1,041 RTs and 623 subscribers
- 393 RTs and 187 subscribers
- 936 RTs and 127 subscribers
All told, we’ve added 1,249+ subscribers to our list with this one type of tweet.
Now you can manually reply to all these people to deliver the content, of course…
But we prefer to use TweetHunter instead.
For one, it puts the “auto” in “auto-DM” — so you don’t have to do anything manual.
It’s got a ton of other features we love too, including:
– Tweet and thread scheduling
– Native image editor
– 2M+ viral tweet library to use for inspiration
– Auto-plugs and auto-retweets
– And a whole bunch more
If you’re looking to grow your audience (and your business) on Twitter as quickly as possible…
TweetHunter is exactly what you need.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
Reads You Might Enjoy
On the hunt for a second favorite newsletter? Check out some of our top picks below for more high-value content in your inbox:
- Stacked Marketer: Join 32k+ readers getting free daily insights on all major marketing channels, including Google, Facebook, TikTok, native ads, SEO, and more.
- Refind: Every day, Refind picks 7 links from around the web for you, tailored to your interests. Loved by 50k+ curious minds.
- The Average Joe: Discover the biggest trends moving the stock market with The Average Joe – a free 3x weekly newsletter.
Quote of the Day
“The most difficult thing is the decision to act!”
— Amelia Earhart
- Monday: 📉 Patreon plummets