Happy Wednesday! If you’re like most freelancers, you probably don’t enjoy taking sales calls. That’s why we created the Ultimate Freelance Sales Call Cheat Sheet. It’s a simple step-by-step roadmap to sales calls that close, even if you’re brand new. Best part? You can unlock it for free by sharing the newsletter with just 5 friends. Copy and paste your referral link to start sharing.
Mentioned in today’s edition: TikTok Shop, Twitter, and Google. Plus how A-Player freelancers tackle deadlines, why time management is for suckers, and 6 traits of high-converting ad images.
Read time: 3 minutes and 37 seconds
Making the Rounds
- TikTok Shop launches in the U.S. The new invite-only ecommerce platform is part of the company’s master plan to replicate the success of their $400B livestream shopping empire in China.
- Ad agency Omnicom recommends clients pause ads on Twitter. The company, which counts McDonald’s, Apple, and Johnson & Johnson among their blue-chip client list, reportedly said “the risk to our clients’ brand safety has risen sharply” in an internal memo. The timing isn’t great for Twitter, as they’re in the midst of (attempting to) negotiate long-term deals that account for more than 30% of U.S. ad revenue.
- Running search ads on Google? Your cost-per-lead has probably gone up. A new study from WordStream found cost–per-lead on Search went up in a whopping 21 of 23 industries analyzed. The only two industries to see a decline? Finance & Insurance (down 2%) and Education and Instruction (down 29%).
Working With Clients
How A-Player Freelancers Tackle Deadlines
There’s only one thing clients HATE more than hiring a freelancer who can’t deliver…
And that’s hiring a freelancer who can’t work fast.
This is typically because of bad experiences in the past…
(with freelancers missing deadlines, ghosting them, or both)
Or simply because they need it turned around ASAP.
Honestly, you would be shocked at how many freelancers with impressive samples and track records can’t work fast.
So if you’re looking for an easy way to stand out even if you don’t have a portfolio full of big wins or a laundry list of testimonials…
Learn to work fast.
And then don’t be afraid to advertise it.
You see, one of the biggest concerns clients have when hiring freelancers is speed.
And if you can speak directly to that fear, you’ll have no trouble closing deals.
Now, you can’t just snap your fingers and make yourself work three times faster…
So here’s a few tips to help you put the pedal to the metal:
- Close all open tabs
- Put your phone on Do Not Disturb
- Create an outline or wireframe first
- Use a timer
- Listen to non-lyrical music (binaural beats, lo-fi, etc)
And don’t forget: the faster you work, the more you can jack up your effective hourly rate.
Working For Yourself
Why Time Management is For Suckers
Ever heard of Parkinson’s Law?
It states that work expands to fill the time allotted for it.
If you give yourself an hour, it’ll take an hour.
If you give yourself a week, it’ll take a week.
And in our experience, we’ve found this law to be pretty accurate.
That’s why time management is the wrong area to focus on if you want to increase your output.
Instead, focus on energy management.
Energy is the true constraint to productivity, not time.
So here are three of our favorite tips to help you better manage your energy:
1 – Put your phone on Do Not Disturb
2 – Listen to non-lyrical music (lo-fi, chillwave, binaural beats)
3 – Go for a walk as soon as you hit a wall
Your mileage may vary…
But the more you focus on extracting the most out of yourself, the less you’ll have to worry about time.
From The Paid Ads Gig
6 Traits of High-Converting Ad Images
Video may be all the rage these days…
But image ads can still crush it on Facebook and Instagram….
… if you know how to pick a winner.
Here are 6 simple tips to help you pick out (or create) high-converting ad images:
1. Dial up the contrast
2. Choose an image with a human face
3. Make sure they’re looking right into the camera
4. Look for colors that stand out from the white & blue of the feed
5. Incorporate diagonal lines whenever possible
6. Aim for “native aspirational” (something a real user would post + reflects the prospect’s desired future state)
Don’t be surprised if your image ads outperform your video ads once you implement these tips 💪
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Set up Conversion Tracking on WordPress Website
- Facebook ad assistance
- Copywriter needed for website and ads
- Email Copywriter
- Brand Designer for Climate Tech Startup
- Graphic designer for portfolio mockups
Other Reads You’ll Enjoy
On the hunt for more high-value content in your inbox? Check out some of our top picks below:
- The Growth Newsletter: Breaking down the tactics fast-growing startups use to grow. Step-by-step. For free. Every week.
- Stacked Marketer: Join 32k+ readers getting free daily insights on all major marketing channels, including Google, Facebook, TikTok, native ads, SEO, and more.
- The Average Joe: Discover the biggest trends moving the stock market with The Average Joe – a free 3x weekly newsletter.
Quote of the Day
“Success is often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.”
— Coco Chanel
In Case You Missed It: