Happy Tuesday! Some exciting news to share: we recently crossed 1k subscribers 🎉 And to celebrate hitting this auspicious milestone in just three months, we’re giving away $50 Amazon gift cards to three lucky readers. Click here for details on how to win one.
Mentioned in today’s issue: YouTube, BeReal, and Google Analytics. Plus how to fire a client, why robots don’t have work-life balance problems, and a surprising reason why your landing page may not be converting.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes and 28 seconds
Making the Rounds
- YouTube ad spend shoots up 57% in Q1. Spend on the platform went up from $307 million in Q1 2021 to $482 million in Q1 2022. This coincides with the rollout of Google’s new Performance Max campaigns, which have been living up to their namesake according to a few advertisers we know.
- BeReal hits 1.25M weekly downloads. After rocketing to the top of the App Store a few months ago, the filter-free Instagram alternative is still going strong. Add this to the list of things keeping Mark Zuckerberg up at night, next to TikTok and testifying before Congress.
- European regulators issue warnings about use of Google Analytics. French, Italian, and Austrian authorities have warned that data transfer to the U.S. is in violation of EU privacy laws. Oops.
Working With Clients
It’s Not You, it’s Me
Not all client relationships have a happy ending.
If you’ve got a client who’s blowing you up with emails, DMs, and voice notes…
Hammering you with urgent requests that ignore your clearly-stated boundaries…
And implying that nothing you do is up to snuff…
It’s probably time to let them go.
But how, exactly? What’s the best way to fire a client?
Well, for starters, it’s never easy…
Even if you’re secretly wishing a pox upon their house.
Send them an email or DM that hits these key points:
– I’m not the right person to help you achieve XYZ
– I hope you’ve gotten some good value from our time together
– Happy to get on a call to discuss if need be
– Still believe in your mission/product
– Will be rooting for you to succeed
The reason to send them a message instead of getting on a call right away is to give them a chance to digest it…
And (hopefully) eliminate the need for a call.
But this way, even if they insist on one, you’ve already got the hard part out of the way.
And if you have a 30-day cancellation policy in your contract, you can always offer to let them out of it if you’re really eager to end the relationship.
Working For Yourself
Why Robots Don’t Have Work-Life Balance Problems
One of the hardest parts about working remotely is maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Unlike our robotic brothers and sisters, we don’t come with an off switch.
So, what’s the solution?
Creating a “shut down” ritual.
Whether it’s turning off your computer, closing the office door, putting Slack on snooze, or going for a walk — developing a routine that signals the end of the day can do wonders for your mental health.
Checking in to see how much our crypto portfolio is down 📉🙃
Tools We Love
The Surprising Reason Why Most Landing Pages Don’t Convert
There’s nothing worse than helping a client with the copy, design, or strategy for a new offer…
Only to find out the landing page doesn’t convert.
But before you scrap it and go back to the drawing board, make sure to test the page speed.
According to HubSpot, website conversion rates drop by an average of 4.42% with each added second of load time.
And in our experience, most hosting providers are not built for speed.
That’s why we use Kinsta to host our WordPress websites.
Their global content delivery network includes servers in 200+ cities worldwide to give you blazing fast page speed…
So you can maximize conversions, sales, and profits.
Join 24,200+ companies who’ve made the switch to better, faster hosting with Kinsta today.
Quote of the Day
“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
— Ralph Waldo Emerson