Happy Black Friday! To borrow from yesterday’s Axios PM: without readers, a newsletter is just a diary. So thank you for sticking with us 🙏 And if you’re on the hunt for some killer deals today, make sure to check out Wirecutter’s Black Friday 2022 guide.
Mentioned in today’s edition: Google, TikTok, and Twitter. Plus whether you should discount services to land a new client, anti-goal setting, and diagnosing your way to paid traffic profits.
Read time: 3 minutes and 13 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Google testing new way to monetize repeat website visitors. The new feature, called “Rewarded Ad Gate”, lets publishers serve a 30-second video ad on someone’s 5th site visit within a specific timeframe. The user will have the option to watch the video or not, but if they choose not to, they won’t be able to access the site until their pageviews reset the following month.
- Some advertisers choose to run TikTok ads without installing the pixel. It’s a painful trade-off, because it means they can’t track conversions or benefit from any algorithm optimization, but it also means they won’t risk being implicated in any foreign surveillance or other illegal data collection TikTok may or may not be involved in.
- Elon fires dozens more Twitter employees just before Thanksgiving. Despite Elon saying the company was done laying people off earlier this week, Insider reports that dozens more were fired overnight on Wednesday due to performance reasons.
Working With Clients
Thinking About Discounting Your Services to Land a New Client?
Making an irresistible offer is key to winning big clients.
But going overboard just to close a deal you really want to land can backfire in a big way.
Specifically, there’s one common mistake freelancers make when pitching that…
– Destroys their positioning
– Slashes future earnings
– And shortens the customer lifespan
What is it?
Discounting your services instead of doing something for free.
You see, once you discount your price…
That’s what the client will value your service or offering at until the end of time.
You’ve created a price anchor.
And no matter how well you deliver for them…
That discounted price will always drag your perceived value down like a weight around your ankles.
So if you’re struggling to overcome a price objection, offering to do something for free is a much better option.
Because you get to bank the goodwill and relationship equity without devaluing your services in the process.
Working For Yourself
“Burn the ships,” they said…
“It’s what all great entrepreneurs do,” they said…
But what happens when your big dream doesn’t pan out the way you expected?
What happens if you fail?
If you’re chasing big dreams, failure is inevitable.
This doesn’t mean you can’t or won’t succeed…
It means you should be prepared for all outcomes in advance…
In fact, preparing for the worst possible scenario can be surprisingly liberating.
In the TED Talk below, entrepreneur and investor Tim Ferriss reveals how to conduct an exercise he calls “fear-setting.”
Essentially, it’s the opposite of traditional goal setting…
But it can be incredibly powerful to help define your risk and understand potential downsides…
Especially if you’re faced with a big decision or considering a new opportunity.
Check out the 13-minute video here:
From The Paid Ads Gig
Diagnosing Your Way to Paid Traffic Profits
Launched a new campaign that isn’t converting yet?
First things first: check to make sure the link isn’t broken 😂
But assuming that’s not the problem…
The next step is to analyze the leading metrics so you can figure out where the dropoff is happening.
- Page speed
- Landing page conversion rate
- Order bump and upsell take rates
A sub-1% CTR + high CPC could mean a market-message mismatch or a weak creative.
Slow page speed could mean visitors are exiting before the page loads.
And if your landing page is converting at 20% or less, that’s a sign you may need to do some conversion rate optimization (CRO) before the campaign hits your KPIs.
Junior media buyers assume every campaign should crush it right out of the gate…
But seasoned vets know you often have to optimize your way to profitability.
And being able to diagnose constraints in your funnel with surgical precision is what will set you apart from the competition.
So focus on getting good at it.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Freelance Advertising Copywriter
- Marketing / Copywriting for SaaS (SEO / Outreach tool)
- Facebook ads manager
- Online marketing expert that can make solid landing pages
- eCommerce Ads Creatives Editors (Images and Video)
- Video Editor for Facebook/Instagram Ads
Other Reads You’ll Enjoy
On the hunt for more high-value content in your inbox? Check out some of our top picks below:
- The Playbook by Unemployable: The Playbook helps creators, freelancers, coaches, and consultants attract profitable audiences and develop multiple revenue streams.
- Trends: 1,000+ pre-vetted business ideas you can start in a weekend + new signals every week.
- The Curiosity Chronicle: High signal content related to frameworks, personal development, productivity, and growth.
Quote of the Day
“Creativity is a wild mind and a disciplined eye.”
— Dorothy Parker
In Case You Missed It: