Happy Wednesday! Welcome to March. We’re 66% of the way through Q1. Are you on track to hit projections? Full disclosure: we are not. But that’s part of the game.
Missing projections isn’t always a cause for concern, it’s not knowing why that is. So if you’re on track, congrats! And if you’re not, figure out why then do something about it.
Now onto today’s agenda: Snapchat, LinkedIn, and the Government of Canada. Plus why every freelancer needs a “wins file,” and the anatomy of a top copywriter in 2023.
Read time: 3 minutes and 15 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Snapchat enters the AI arms race. The company launched a new chatbot called My AI, powered by the same technology behind ChatGPT. Users can ask for birthday gift ideas, travel plans, dinner recipes, and as we already know, a whole lot more.
- LinkedIn launches interest targeting for advertisers. The add-on comes with 3 categories: General Interests, Product Interests, and Service Interests. These new interest targeting options can also be layered with existing account targeting.
- Canadian government bans TikTok. As of yesterday, employees are no longer allowed to have the app installed on government-issued phones. The ban follows a similar move by the European Commission and certain states in the U.S.
Working For Clients
Why Every Freelancer Needs a “Wins File”
What’s the #1 biggest hurdle to raising your rates?
We’ll give you a hint…
It’s not how many followers you have on social media…
Or how good your sales skills are…
Instead, it’s how much proof you have.
Proof of results is what allows you to raise your rates.
The more extensive your track record is, the more you can charge.
So if you want to 2X, 4X or even 10X what you charge right now…
It’s essential to create a “wins file” to collect as much proof as you can.
Get in the habit of screenshotting client messages…
Asking for testimonials after a big win…
And then sharing those wins with future prospects along with your audience on social media.
(if you have one)
Because there’s no amount of copywriting magic or verbal jiu jitsu that can stand up to a laundry list of client wins.
From The Copywriting Gig
The Anatomy of a Top Copywriter in 2023
Attention spans are shrinking fast.
Instagram and YouTube are throwing piles of money at short-form video in an attempt to catch TikTok…
Meanwhile, distractions are multiplying faster than AI chatbots.
So what does this mean for copywriters?
Being able to write killer hooks is quickly becoming a must-have skill.
Think of a hook as the:
- First 125 characters of a Facebook ad
- First 5 seconds of a video script
- Subject line of an email
- First tweet in a thread
Now, hooks have always been important…
But the rise of short-form content like Shorts, Reels, and TikToks have made them 10X more influential.
Best part is, a high-performing hook can be transplanted onto a winning ad…
Allowing you squeeze more life out of existing assets.
So, how do you write a great hook?
High-performing hooks are all about curiosity.
You’ve gotta stop the reader dead in their tracks so they can read your ad or watch your video.
And the only reason they’ll do that…
Is if they’re curious enough to keep watching or reading.
If you’re looking for inspiration to get the juices flowing…
Check out this list of 500+ TikTok hooks.
We wouldn’t rate these hooks A+, but if you study this list and start putting your own spin on some of them…
You’ll be well on your way to Captain Hook status 🏴☠️🪝
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Graphic Designer for Web Banners & Web Assets
- Graphic Designer for eCommerce Paid Ads
- Email Template development and Campaign development for a Baby Brand
- Copywriting for shopify website
- Google Ads Audit for B2B Software Dev Company
- Google ads campaign setup
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients.
Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“Don’t follow your passion, but let it follow you in your quest to become really good at what you do.”
— Cal Newport
Find out where your skills and interests intersect with market demand, then sail in that direction.
Passion won’t be far behind.
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
- Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
- Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI.
- Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)