Happy Wednesday! And welcome to June. This is The Gig with news, tips, and A+ memes to help grow your freelance biz.
Here’s the latest…
Making the Rounds
- Substack abandons $75M fundraise. The newsletter-biz-in-a-box company was attempting to raise $75M to $100M in new funding at a valuation of $750M-$1B. But with VCs and Wall Street bearish on tech companies these days, it looks like they’ll have to wait.
- SpaceX president defends Elon Musk against sexual misconduct allegations. Gwynne Shotwell, who’s also COO, came out in support of Musk in an email to employees, saying she believes the allegations are false.
- Foursquare founder announces $4M in funding for mysterious new social media metaverse company. The project is called LivingCities and aims to integrate web3 technology into a “mirror world” you won’t be able to find in app stores. Not sure exactly what that means? Don’t worry – us neither.
Working With Clients
What to Do When a New Client Questions the Strategy
While you may want to Force choke a client on occasion…
(we’ve all been there)
Client success can be boiled down to one thing:
Learning how to manage expectations.
It’s the bedrock that long-lasting relationships are built on.
Here are some tips to help you to do it better:
- Be transparent about the process
- Offer multiple options or strategies
- Set deadlines with wiggle room
- Avoid getting carried away with too much excitement or enthusiasm
And if a client is eager to pursue their own strategy instead of the one you’ve suggested…
Make the potential risks clear.
Explain that it’s your job as the expert to speak up.
Then establish clear criteria to determine whether the strategy is successful or not.
If it pans out, they’ll appreciate you pushing forward despite disagreeing.
And if it doesn’t, they’ll respect your judgment for being right.
Working For Yourself
The Dark Side of a Short Commute
Blurred lines are an occupational hazard when working from home.
Sure, the morning commutes may be a breeze…
But when the office is always just a few steps away, it can be tough to turn off your work brain.
That’s why one of the best ways to stay sane is…
Create a structured work schedule and stick to it.
That means getting up, starting, and finishing work around the same time each day.
Establishing boundaries like this will not only help you be more productive…
But you’ll sleep better too.
From The Paid Ads Gig
Ads Not Working? Try This
Ads not performing?
First things first: check to make sure the link isn’t broken 😂
But assuming that’s not the problem…
The next step is to analyze the leading metrics so you can figure out where the dropoff is happening.
- Page speed
- Landing page conversion rate
A sub-1% CTR + high CPC could mean a market-message mismatch or a weak creative.
Slow page speed could mean visitors are exiting before the page loads.
And if your landing page is converting at 20% or less, that’s a sign you may need to do some conversion rate optimization (CRO) before the campaign hits your KPIs.
Quote of the Day
“A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.”
— John Maxwell