Happy Tuesday! If the colder weather and lack of sunlight have got you feeling a little blue, you’re not alone. So here’s something to cheer you up: only 23 days remain until the days start getting longer again.
And better still, the earliest sunset this year actually takes place on December 7. Meaning the days will start feeling longer after that, even though the winter solstice isn’t until December 21. Almost there!
Mentioned in today’s edition: Black Friday, Walmart, Amazon, and college degrees. Plus the benefits of a proven step-by-step system, a simple selling methodology to get more money, influence, and loyalty, and how to give yourself a pay cut if you’re an international freelancer.
Read time: 3 minutes and 13 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Black Friday 2022 sets new online sales record. According to data from Adobe Analytics, consumers spent a record-setting $9.12 billion dollars on Black Friday, inflation be damned.
- More employers are dropping the requirement for a college degree. Companies including Google, IBM, and Delta Airlines are shifting their focus away from college degrees and towards skills and specialized knowledge when it comes to hiring. Yet another reason why freelancing multiplies your options, even if you didn’t go to college.
- Walmart tops Amazon in search for Black Friday discounts. In a surprising loss of search share, Amazon ranked 4th in this year’s Black Friday searches, falling behind Walmart, Target, and Kohl’s.
Working With Clients
When You Got That Proven Step-By-Step System
Struggling to land higher-paying clients?
One trick that could turn the tide is refining (and articulating) your step-by-step system.
You see, most top tier clients aren’t willing to risk a 5-figure fee on a freelancer they’ve never worked with before…
… Unless you’re able to build a mountain of trust.
And while testimonials and case studies do have a part to play…
How can a prospective client be sure their project will turn out like the ones featured on your testimonial or reviews page?
This is where your unique system or method comes in.
When you have a consistent and methodical way for producing results for every client…
You’re giving them reason to believe you can produce similar results for them.
Which is key.
Ultimately, you should be able to walk them through exactly how you’re going to deliver the work, step-by-step…
Because that’s a mark of a seasoned vet.
No matter what skill, niche, or sector you’re in.
So make sure to walk them through it during the interview process, on the sales call, and again during the onboarding or kickoff call.
Pro tip: keep it simple and stick to 3-5 steps or pillars.
Working For Yourself
Want More Money, Influence, and Loyalty From Your Clients? Try This
Direct response marketing is a double-edged sword.
On the one hand, it’s tailor-made to produce profits out of thin air by persuading people to act — NOW.
But on the other hand…
Studies show anywhere from 80-95% of buyers in your market are not ready to buy right away.
So how you can design a marketing strategy that speaks to them too?
Enter “social selling.”
In the video below from 7-figure copywriter Alex Cattoni…
You’ll discover how to leverage this alternative selling strategy to get more money, influence, and loyalty from your clients.
Check it out:
Tools We Love
International Freelancer? Here’s How to Give Yourself a Pay Cut
Inflation may have (finally) peaked.
But the U.S. dollar is still looking pretty strong.
Which means international freelancers *should* be pocketing a little more than usual on every invoice…
Only problem is:
Most of them rely on PayPal (or god forbid, their local bank) to convert their currency.
Instead, they should be using Wise.
With Wise, you can:
- Get better rates on currency conversions than PayPal or a local bank
- Send money cheaper and easier than old-school banks
- Get paid like a local in 10 different currencies
- And convert & hold up to 53 different currencies.
In fact, Wise is 6X cheaper than other international accounts on average.
That’s why over 13 million people trust them to handle their international payment needs.
So if you’re an international freelancer…
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Graphic Designer Needed for a Logo
- Need a Graphic Artist to Create Media Banner
- Improve Website Conversions
- Copywriter: Help Us Design and Execute a LinkedIn / Blogging Program
- Facebook ad specialist for product testing & launch
- Google Analytics and Google Ads Affiliate Tracking Expert
Let me guess: Your portfolio is down?
Yeah, us too. Things are shaky right now.
But did you know that farmland is unaffected? Or that wine is way up? Or that vinyl records are mooning?
That’s why we’ve been reading Alts, where Stefan and Wyatt analyze the heck out of alternative investment markets.
They started out as a newsletter, and have just launched their first fund.
The Alts1 Fund brings together alternative investments spanning 10 asset classes, from collectibles, to fine art, to whiskey, to music rights.
Join 55,000+ investors and see what you’ve been missing.
Quote of the Day
“Momentum? Momentum is the next day’s starting pitcher.”
— Earl Weaver
In Case You Missed It:
- Monday: 🌈 Multicolored verification