Happy Monday! It’s the start of a new week. Let’s get after it 💪
Here’s what’s new…
Making the Rounds
- One-click checkout startup Bolt sees massive sales slowdown. Despite raising $355 million in January at an eye-popping valuation of $11 billion, the company is under pressure from PayPal and Shopify, both of whom have launched their own one-click checkout options.
- Amazon reports quarterly loss of $3.8 billion. For the first time since 2015, the ecommerce giant lost money last quarter, driving the stock price down almost 15%. On the bright side, sales from their cloud computing division AWS were up 36.5%… because someone’s gotta host all those sales funnels.
- Snap reveals flying drone camera for selfies. Selfie sticks are so 2021. Now you can snap the perfect pic with Pixy, a bright yellow camera drone that will retail for $299.99.
Working With Clients
WANTED: Money at a Discount
Let’s say you’re a copywriter, media buyer, or funnel builder.
The “product” you sell is actually a service, right?
As a service provider, the “product” you sell is an OUTCOME.
- Product demos
- Sales calls
- Free trials
Clients aren’t looking for another line item to add to their expense report…
They’re looking for the fastest and most direct way to achieve a specific outcome.
And in marketing, that outcome usually means “buying” money at a discount (by paying you to produce a result that generates revenue for their business).
So the next time you’re pitching a new prospect…
Remember: clients don’t buy services, they buy results.
Working For Yourself
Protect Your Peepers
Digital devices like computers, phones, and tablets emit something called “blue light.”
And some studies have linked it to:
- Eye strain
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty sleeping
One way to minimize this potential risk is with blue light blocking glasses.
Thankfully, they’ve come a long way from the original gamer glasses that look more like a pair of ski goggles than computer glasses.
So if you’re looking to reduce the strain on your eyes from spending long hours on the computer…
Without looking like Spock here…
Check out this article on the best blue light glasses of 2022.
From The Copywriting Gig
Your English Teacher Wouldn’t Approve
Good news for anyone who couldn’t stand studying Shakespeare:
The art and science of writing words that sell has nothing to do with what you learned in English class.
In fact, it breaks pretty much all the rules.
Some key points to focus on:
- Keep paragraphs short (1-2 lines)
- Avoid using big words (3 syllables or less)
- Ellipses are your friend
It may feel funny at first…
But if you want to sell more stuff, train yourself to write conversationally and in plain English.
Looking to speed up the process? Put your copy through Hemingway before submitting it.
Quote of the Day
“Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get.”
— W.P. Kinsella