Happy Friday! We know you have a lot going on, so we’ve crafted a light and witty edition that will make you smile as you start your day. From our team to you, we hope that this newsletter helps give you the boost you need to be productive and successful as a digital freelancer.
Also — shout out to ChatGPT for writing today’s intro. Unfortunately, it’s got a teeny tiny bit further to go before it’s ready to write the entire newsletter for us. But we’ll keep you posted.
(… Or will we? 😈)
Discussed in today’s edition: Mobile ad spend, Instagram, and TikTok. Plus one simple trick to make selling your products and services way easier, the dark side of a short commute, and the fast-track to making 120k/year as a freelance copywriter.
Read time: 2 minutes and 46 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Mobile ad spend growth projected to fall from 14% to 7.5% in 2023. A new forecast from data analytics provider data dot ai reveals mobile ad spend growth has been on a slow but steady decline since peaking in 2020. With a global recession looking more and more likely in 2023, advertisers may be looking to focus more of their budgets on desktop traffic.
- Instagram launches new feature for victims of account hacking. If you (or a client) has ever had their Instagram account hacked, then you know how difficult it can be to regain access. But now the platform is looking to make the process much easier with its new /hacked dashboard.
- Senate votes unanimously to ban TikTok on government devices. The bill will still need to pass in the House of Representatives before being sent to President Biden’s desk and signed into law, but it’s a sign that opposition to the platform is mounting among U.S. politicians.
Working With Clients
1 Simple Trick to Make Selling Your Products & Services Way Easier
Even if you’re not a freelance copywriter…
You still have to practice “salesmanship in print.”
Whether it’s in a cold outreach message, a job proposal on Upwork, or a booking page on your website…
Being able to sell in print is key to getting paid as a freelancer.
In the YouTube video below, 7-figure copywriter Alex Cattoni reveals one simple trick to drive buying decisions no matter what you’re selling.
Check it out:
Working For Yourself
The Dark Side of a Short Commute
Blurred lines are an occupational hazard when working from home.
Sure, the morning commutes may be a breeze…
But when the office is always just a few steps away, it can be tough to turn off your work brain.
That’s why one of the best ways to stay sane is…
Create a structured work schedule and stick to it.
That means getting up, starting, and finishing work around the same time each day.
Establishing boundaries like this will not only help you be more productive…
But you’ll sleep better too.
From The Copywriting Gig
The Shortcut to Making 120k/yr as a Freelance Copywriter
Specializing as a copywriter is one of the fastest ways to hit 6-figures.
And when you boil it down…
There are only two ways freelance copywriters can specialize:
#1: Market specialization
This refers to the audience you’re writing for.
The “big 3” are: health, wealth, and relationships.
#2: Task specialization
This refers to the specific deliverables you’re responsible for, such as:
– Facebook ads
– Sales letters
– Video scripts
If you’re wondering which one is more important…
Or which one you should tackle first…
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Facebook Ads Expert
- Landing Page EXPERT needed
- Need Help Building Land Page and advertising on Google
- Social media pro and SEO copywriter needed to write landing page and ad copy
- Direct-Response Copywriter with Expertise Writing Sales Pages for Life Coaches
- Design BBQ Rub Label- fun light hearted
The Daily Upside is a free business newsletter that covers the most important stories in business in a style that’s engaging, insightful, and fun.
Traditional investment news is littered with jargon and filled with fluff. But The Daily Upside peels out the insights and peppers them with A+ memes and GIFs so you can stay above the fray.
Plus it’s completely free, and you are guaranteed to learn something new every day.
Quote of the Day
“Sometimes you make the right decision, sometimes you make the decision right.”
— Phil McGraw
In Case You Missed It: