Happy Friday! Labor Day is here. We see tequila and BBQ in our future. How about you? Hit reply and let us know what your plans are for the long weekend.
Mentioned in today’s issue: Duolingo, Roblox, Apple Together, and Creative Commons. Plus a different kind of R&R, when the “friend zone” isn’t a bad thing, and split-testing for statistical insignificance.
Read time: 4 minutes and 12 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Duolingo enters the metaverse. The viral language learning app has launched a game jam inside gaming platform Roblox to spotlight developer-created Duo content and capitalize on organic interest in the metaverse. If you’re a metaverse-savvy freelancer, it’s time to update your bio — because the opportunities in this space are set to explode.
- Apple workers launch petition to avoid returning to the office next week. Turns out not everyone misses watercooler chit chat and empty coffee pots. A group of Apple employees known as Apple Together have been circulating a petition to demand location flexible work in advance of the company’s mandated return to the office on September 5.
- How to find images you can legally use for free. Need to find an image for a client project that you don’t have to pay for? Check out this guide from The Verge on how to search for images with Creative Commons licenses.
Working With Clients
A Different Kind of R&R
For most freelancers, hitting 10k per month is their first big goal.
So what’s the easiest way to get there?
Look to find clients who have an ongoing need for your services.
-For copywriters, this could be writing emails and/or managing the list
-For media buyers, this could be managing paid ad campaigns
-For graphic designers, this could be producing ad creatives
-For remote sales reps, this could be setting appointments
Now copywriters and graphic designers may have to work a little bit harder on this…
Because one-off projects are much more common in those lines of work.
But media buyers and remote sales reps have recurring revenue basically built-in to their job descriptions.
And by focusing on recurring revenue…
It only takes:
– 5 clients @ 2k/m
– 4 clients @ 2.5k/m
– 2 clients @ 5k/m
… to hit 10k per month.
Another way to hit 10k/m faster is to negotiate performance-based compensation.
This is typically a percentage of sales generated by your work.
– Copywriters may get a % of gross revenue
– Media buyers may get a % of monthly ad spend
– Remote sales reps may get a % of cash collected
Now, performance-based components are much more common for some high-income skills (copywriting, media buying, and remote sales) versus others (graphic design).
But no matter which skill you choose…
Performance-based compensation requires a strong foundation of trust.
No client will agree to share their profits without it.
So keep this in mind as a goal to work toward…
But don’t come out guns blazing and ask for a percentage of gross sales right away.
You should have no trouble hitting 10k/m without it.
Working For Yourself
When Getting “Friend Zoned” is a Good Thing
Before someone will hire you to do a job, they have to know (or at least believe) that you can actually do the job.
And if you’re running a freelance business…
This gap of awareness is much easier to bridge if you do it in advance.
By building your network and getting to know other people in your industry.
There’s a reason they say your network is your net worth.
Because the more people know who…
1 – Who you are
2 – What you can do
… the more opportunities you’ll get.
Plain and simple.
And if you’re worried about “the competition” or anyone else who provides the same service as you do..
There is SO much more work out there than there are competent people who can do it.
The amount of people who have both skill and the will to pursue the same goals as you do is so small that it doesn’t even matter.
The closer you get to the top, the smaller the world gets.
Here are a few ways to get started:
– Join free communities focused around a specific niche or skill
– Build relationships with other service providers on social media
– Buy a product from your favorite content creator to start a more intimate conversation
Bottom line is:
Become a connector and you’ll have more opportunities than you know what to do with.
From The Paid Ads Gig
Split-Testing For Statistical Insignificance
The main conversion mechanism in a sales funnel is usually a sales letter, webinar, or VSL.
But is it the most important one?
Not always — and here’s why:
Your ad determines WHO you’re bringing in and WHAT their expectations are.
Get it wrong, and it may not matter how good your main conversion mechanism is.
Especially if you’re selling a high-ticket product or service.
So while you can split test landing pages, order forms, and button copy until the cows come home…
Truth is, the #1 biggest lever you can pull when it comes to the performance of your funnel…
(aside from your sales letter, VSL, or webinar)
Is your ad.
Nail that and everything else downstream gets much easier.
Together with AdSkills
When They Find Out You’re AdSkills Certified
Most certifications aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. But not AdSkills. Their Matchmaker program generates high-quality inbound leads for media buyers of all experience levels. It doesn’t matter whether you’re brand new or a seasoned vet. Once you graduate, you’ll have the chance to apply for real gigs with legit clients who’ve specifically requested an AdSkills media buyer.
As an AdSkills member, not only will you learn how to launch & scale paid ad campaigns, but you’ll also get the stamp of approval that 9-figure companies like ClickFunnels, DigitalMarketer, and VShred look for when hiring freelancers. So if you’re looking for a new high-income skill to add to your freelance toolkit, click here to try a free class today.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
Quote of the Day
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”
— Elvis Presley
- Monday: 🧲 The 90-Day Rule
- Tuesday: 🥸 How social media apps view sensitive info without consent
- Wednesday: 🧑⚖️ Subpoena between friends
- Thursday: 🚨 Twitter whistleblower comes forward