Happy Tuesday! This is The Gig. We’re like the GPS for your freelance business, here to help you chart a direct course to the freedom and fulfillment you deserve.
Discussed in today’s edition: TikTok, U.S. banks, Microsoft and OpenAI. Plus a powerful reframe for anyone stuck in the wilderness, and if AI tools had their own Slack channels.
Read time: 2 minutes and 52 seconds
Making the Rounds
- TikTok employees can make any post go viral. All they have to do is hit the “heating” button to guarantee a specific piece of content gets a certain number of views, according to documents seen by Forbes. We’ll bet the U.S. regulators reviewing the platform’s pending security deal were tickled pink when they heard that.
- U.S. banks band together on new digital wallet. Seven American banks, including JPMorgan and Wells Fargo, are collaborating on a new digital wallet to compete with other wallet operators like PayPal.
- Microsoft confirms new multi-billion dollar investment in OpenAI. Turns out the rumors were true: the Windows maker confirmed another “multi-year, multi-billion-dollar” investment in the company behind viral chatbot ChatGPT.
Working For Yourself
A Powerful Reframe For Anyone Stuck in the Wilderness
Entrepreneurship is a rollercoaster ride.
It can bring the highest of highs, but also the lowest of lows.
Lots of famous founders and inventors, like Reid Hoffman, Peter Thiel, James Dyson, and many more, failed repeatedly before finally hitting it big.
But tales of trials and tribulations don’t offer much comfort if you’ve hit rock bottom.
Or worse, if rock bottom has come up and smacked you in the face.
One of the reasons why is because we often struggle to find meaning in failure…
Ani It’s not until we’re well beyond them that their meaning reveals itself to us.
Like Steve Jobs once said, “you can only connect the dots looking backward.”
That’s why we enjoyed this recent interview with authors Tim Ferriss and Steven Pressfield.
Specifically, Pressfield talks about the importance of “time in the wilderness”…
And how this fundamental rite of passage shapes everyone in ways they often don’t realize.
So if you’re still stuck in a 9 to 5 you don’t like…
Or struggling to shift your freelance biz into high gear…
Give this episode a listen.
It provides some much-needed perspective from someone who didn’t score their first big win until age 52…
Yet still became (arguably) one of the most influential authors of all time.
Click here to check it out:
[LISTEN]: Steven Pressfield on Going from Truck Driver to Bestselling Novelist, Overcoming Self-Sabotage, Building Momentum, Dancing with the Muse, Turning Pro, and Letting Your Underground River Flow (#642)
One of our favorite things about The Tim Ferriss Show is that transcripts are released with every episode.
So whether you want to go back and take notes after you’re done listening…
Or if you’d simply rather read the interview rather than listen to it…
Tools We Love
If AI Tools Had Their Own Slack Channels
Everyone’s high on AI these days.
And for good reason…
We’ve been blown away by ChatGPT’s potential for ideation and content creation.
But it’s not the only AI tool that’s caught our eye.
Another tool we’re loving is Bearly.ai.
It’s built on GPT-3 (also from OpenAI) and acts as a jack-of-all-trades.
Some of our favorite features include:
- Asking it to summarize any piece of content (studies, long-form articles, 200-word blog posts, etc 😂)
- Asking it to write the next line or graph of an email (to defeat writer’s block)
- Asking to write copy from scratch using proven frameworks (PAS, AIDA, BAB, PPPP, etc)
- Asking it to answer questions about a piece of text
This is just the tip of the iceberg.
Because Bearly.ai can do a whole lot more.
So if you’re looking to streamline your workflows and supercharge your productivity with AI…
Click below to check it out:
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Write a convertible Landing Page
- Expert Email Copywriter Needed
- Google ad suspension restoration and monthly management
- Experienced Funnel Builder
- Graphic Design Advice for Website in Progress
- Logo and Brand Identity for Real Estate company
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients. Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“Teamwork is connected independence”
— David Cottrell