Happy Friday! What wins did you have this week? Hit reply and let us know. Sharing your wins is key to building momentum and maintaining a positive outlook. Doesn’t matter whether they’re big or small. So hit us with ‘em!
Discussed in today’s newsletter: Twitter, Elon Musk, the Federal Trade Commission, Grammarly, and money vs happiness. Plus 3 types of jobs to avoid on Upwork, and 4 ways to position any offer so it becomes irresistible.
Read time: 3 minutes and 37 seconds
Uplevel your skills to explode
your freelance business
Looking to level up your skills? Skillshare offers thousands of classes on everything from creative arts to business and technology. Learn from expert instructors who are there to guide you every step of the way. Whether you’re looking to learn something new or enhance your existing skills, Skillshare has something for you. Sign up today and get one month free.*
Making the Rounds
- Federal Trade Commission probing Twitter after mass layoffs. According to the WSJ, the FTC has sent a total of 12 letters to Twitter since Elon took over. Their concerns? Mass layoffs, Twitter Blue, and the company’s ability to comply with a previous $150M settlement for privacy violations.
- Grammarly launching AI-powered writing add-on. Not to be left in the dust by its cybernetic competitors, writing tool Grammarly has announced GrammarlyGo, a set of AI-powered features to help users write faster.
- Maybe money can buy happiness after all. A new study contradicts previous findings from 2010 that happiness plateaued after $90,000 in annual income. Researchers found this plateau actually only exists in a small percentage of the population, and that for the rest of us, happiness tends to rise steadily with income. Long live the side hustle!
Working With Clients
3 Types of Jobs to Avoid On Upwork
Upwork has 100k+ open jobs on any given day.
But if you’re not careful, you’ll end up wasting lots of time applying to jobs with nothing to show for it.
Here are 3 types of jobs to avoid:
1) Clients with no previous hires
The best clients have experience hiring freelancers.
If they’ve got no previous hires, they might not be serious about hiring someone…
Or they might not be willing to pay a reasonable rate.
Either way, avoid these.
2) Clients with multiple bad reviews
When you click on a job description, you can scroll down to see the client’s past reviews from other freelancers.
If a client has multiple 1-star reviews from other freelancers, with written explanations to back them up, steer clear.
These are not clients you want to work with.
3) Jobs with 20+ proposals
Speed is key to landing jobs on Upwork.
Once a client has received more than 20+ proposals, your chances of getting hired go way down.
You’re better off focusing your time and effort on jobs with less than 20 proposals.
And ideally, less than 10.
This is why it’s so important to check Upwork at least once a day.
From The Copywriting Gig
4 Ways to Position Any Offer So it Becomes Irresistible
There’s a science to crafting offers so irresistible people can’t say no to them.
But as a copywriter, you’re not usually involved in the offer creation process.
It’s up to you to position the offer in writing so it becomes more compelling.
And there are 4 main ways to do this.
Think of each one as a multiplier…
Because the more of these you can leverage, the more appealing your offer will be.
Here we go:
Positioning Trick #1: NEW
Most people suffer from shiny object syndrome.
Something that’s new (or feels new) naturally gets attention.
And to flip this on its head, no one wants an old solution.
Because if it’s old, they’ve probably heard about it before.
Or it doesn’t work.
So always aim to position your offer as being new (even if it’s not).
Positioning Trick #2: FAST
The next way to make your offer more compelling is to emphasize speed.
How fast will they see results?
Prospects want solutions that work faster, not slower.
Stretch this as far as you can (while still being truthful, of course).
Positioning Trick #3: CHEAP
Everybody wants to feel like they got a great deal.
This desire is universal, regardless of what the price is — because it’s tied to value.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a $2 stapler or a $20,000 watch…
Demonstrate how the value they’re getting is 5-10X more than the price they’re paying.
Positioning Trick #4: EASY
The final positioning trick is to focus on ease.
You can execute this by “chunking down” the solution into its atomic form.
- It only costs $2.97 a day
- All it takes is 30 minutes, twice a week
- Repeat this process just once a month
By lowering the bar and minimizing the time / money / energy commitment required, you make it feel more achievable…
So they’re less likely to doubt themselves…
And more likely to feel confident enough to pull the trigger and buy.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Create Life Insurance Facebook Ads
- Set up correct Facebook ads tracking on my shopify store
- Qualified Email Marketing COPYWRITING Specialist
- Script Writer is needed to create YouTube ads
- Website Graphic Designer & Illustrator
- Meta Ad Creative Design
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients.
Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
In Case You Missed It:
- Monday: 📲 90-second Reels
- Tuesday: 🛩️ AI Copilot
- Wednesday: 💬 SlackGPT
- Thursday: 🔐 TikTok paywall
Quote of the Day
“If there is no fear, there is no will.”
— Matteo Berrettini
Stepping outside your comfort zone is scary.
But fear is fuel for the fire.
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
- Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
- Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI.
- Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)