Happy Monday! Welcome back to The Gig, the morning constitutional for freelancers looking to build high-income skills and grow profitable client businesses.
Mentioned in today’s newsletter: Remote work, Facebook Jail, and LinkedIn. Plus how to cultivate an unfair advantage as a freelancer, and busting the biggest traffic & ads myths.
Read time: 2 minutes and 44 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Majority of remote workers don’t want hybrid setups. In Buffer’s 2023 State of Remote Work report, 71% of respondents said they want a fully remote setup, with just 20% preferring a mix of remote and in-person.
- Meta backing off on Facebook Jail. If you’ve ever had your account locked for clicking the Log In button the wrong way, this should put a smile on your face: Meta is overhauling its penalty system in response to recommendations from its Oversight Board.
- LinkedIn makes profiles more visually appealing. Now users’ activity can be displayed on their profile in a much more visual format, which should lead to higher engagement and clickthroughs on content.
Working For Clients
How to Cultivate an Unfair Advantage as a Freelancer
Ever heard the term “unfair advantage?”
It’s something that can’t be easily copied by the competition.
And when it comes to freelancing…
Cultivating an unfair advantage is essential.
It helps build a moat around your services your competitors can’t easily cross.
Good news is, you don’t have to buy a course or hire a mentor to acquire one.
All you have to do is embrace your curiosity.
By leaning into whatever fascinates you and taking the time to become knowledgeable about it…
Whether that’s NFTs, Formula 1, or learning Latin…
You can accumulate niche expertise your competitors don’t have.
Then, by combining that with your general expertise as a service professional (copywriter, media buyer, graphic designer, etc)…
You have all the ingredients you need to position yourself as someone unique.
You’re no longer just a freelancer who can do X.
You’re a freelancer who can do X and understands Y.
And that makes a big difference.
Clients will always choose someone with niche understanding and expertise over someone who has to get the lay of the land first, before they can put pen to paper.
So don’t be afraid to let your curiosity pull you down the rabbit hole…
Because you’ll often find money and opportunities at the bottom of it.
From The Paid Ads Gig
Busting the Biggest Traffic & Ads Myths
Looking to get started with paid ads?
Our co-founder Dorothy Hollabaugh was just on The Course Creators Academy Podcast for an in-depth interview discussing:
- The best time to start paid ads
- Common mistakes most people make with paid ads
- How to customize your funnel for organic vs paid traffic
- And much more
Check it out on Spotify here:
[LISTEN]: Busting the Biggest Traffic & Ads Myths with Dorothy Hollabaugh
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Expert Copywriter
- Need Persuasive Copy for Crowdfunding Platform
- Facebook ads specialist to mentor
- SEO/Paid Ads/Digital Marketing Guru Needed
- Graphic designer needed to create logo design
- Graphic Designer for Gym Branding/Logo
NOTE: We only share job postings from Upwork. We’ve found it to be the most trustworthy platform with the highest-quality clients.
Furthermore, job postings must be for high-income skills like copywriting, media buying, funnel building, graphic design, remote closing, etc in order to qualify.
Quote of the Day
“Action creates clarity.”
— Amy Porterfield
You don’t always have to start out with a master plan.
Just put one foot in front of the other.
Focus on the next move and eventually the master plan will reveal itself.
(Share this on Twitter)
Tools of the Trade
Looking to upgrade your toolkit? Here are some of our favorite tools we use to powerful our freelance business:
- ConvertKit — Email marketing for creators. Simple, easy to use, and very cost-effective.
Kinsta — Super fast website hosting trusted by 25,000+ small businesses.
- Fireflies — AI note-taker that can record client calls + create searchable transcripts.
Krisp — Eliminates echoes and background noise on calls and meetings using AI. Wise — Unbeatable rates on currency conversions. Saves you a ton of money if you’re an international freelancer.
* Some of these are affiliate links. This means we may receive a small commission if you sign up for a paid subscription (at no extra cost to you.)