Happy Monday! Welcome back to The Gig, the daily email helping freelancers build profitable client businesses.
Mentioned in today’s edition: Twitter, Microsoft Advertising, and LinkedIn. Plus jacking up this one metric will boost your close rate, confessions of a work-from-home freelancer, and a trick to help you scale up your ads on Facebook or Instagram.
Read time: 3 minutes and 24 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Twitter is offering major incentives to advertisers to increase their spending on the platform. Billed as the “biggest advertiser incentive ever on Twitter” and featuring offers to match spending with a “100% value add” it seems that Elon & Co are desperate to get some of those big brands back who have paused or stopped spending.
- Microsoft Advertising wants to help marketers leverage New Year’s resolutions into sales driving ad campaigns. The new year is fast approaching which means online searches related to popular resolutions are increasing rapidly. So to our copywriting friends, sharpen your pencils.
- Demand for remote jobs is now greatly outpacing supply. According to a LinkedIn study, over 50% of applications being submitted are folks wishing to work from home, while only 15% of job postings offer that possibility. That noise you hear is the typing of many a brand new Upwork profile ⌨️.
Working With Clients
Jack Up This One Metric to Boost Your Close Rate
Want to learn a simple trick to increase your chances of closing a new client?
Here it is:
Ask a ton of questions during the “discovery” process.
The reason why is simple…
What’s important to a new client may not be the same as your last client.
So by asking things like:
- What’s the #1 biggest challenge right now?
- What makes this a priority right now?
- Have you hired anyone else to help with this in the past? How did that go?
- Is there anything else you think I should know?
… you can tailor your pitch to address their specific concerns and desires.
And the more questions you ask, the better handle you’ll have on exactly what your client is looking for (and is willing to pay for).
On a related note — if you want to take your sales pitches to the next level, share the newsletter with just five friends and we’ll send you a copy of our Ultimate Freelance Sales Call Cheat Sheet.
It’s a step-by-step roadmap to closing freelance deals over the phone, complete with specific questions and word-for-word transitions to help you navigate sales calls like a pro.
Working For Yourself
Confessions of a Work-From-Home Freelancer
Work-life balance is a constant struggle for freelancers.
That’s why, in addition to having a structured workday where you start and end around the same time…
One of the best ways to create separation between work and personal is to eat lunch away from your desk.
Even if it’s just 15-20 minutes…
Giving yourself a break from the computer screen is good for mind and body.
From The Paid Ads Gig
Struggling to Scale Up Your Ads on Facebook or Instagram? Try This
One of the biggest roadblocks to scaling your ad account on Facebook and Instagram is ad fatigue.
Once you start spending thousands of dollars per day or more…
You need to give the algorithm more to work with if you want to maintain performance.
Think of it like a deck of cards…
If you’ve only got a few copy and image variations, you’re only giving the algorithm a few cards to play with.
And the result is that your target audience ends up seeing the same ads over and over again.
So… how do you avoid this?
By using dynamic creative.
This lets you upload up to…
- 5 variations of body copy
- 10 images or videos
- 5 headlines
- 5 descriptions
All within the same single ad.
So you can “stack the deck”…
And allow the algorithm to mix and match each individual asset, creating TONS of different variations to test and run.
Ultimately, this allows you to avoid burning out your audience…
Find more ad variations that convert…
And scale up your ad account much faster.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Logo Rework and design
- Graphic designer to make a few images for website
- SEO edit and finalize a sales page
- Google Ad Manager Pro Needed to Review Account
- Media Buyer – Health and Fitness Products
It can be challenging to find unbiased news sources these days.
There is one outlet we trust for everything from culture and science to sports and politics: 1440.
The team of PhDs and industry experts at 1440 scour over 100 news sources to create one daily email that gets you caught up on the day’s events in just five minutes. It’s independent and 100% free; sign up for 1440 here.
Quote of the Day
“There is no breakthrough without a breakdown.”
— Tony Robbins