Happy Friday! Today marks the only Friday the 13th of 2022. Can somebody tell the crypto markets?
In the meantime, here’s what’s going on as we head into the weekend.
Making the Rounds
- Elon plans to reinstate Trump’s Twitter account if the deal closes. At the Future of the Car conference, the Tesla CEO said he thought it was wrong for the platform to ban the former President. Trump claims he’ll stay on Truth Social even if he is reinstated, but if there’s an over/under on him coming back once the deal closes, we’ll take the over.
- Netflix warns employees that ads are coming. After losing 200k subscribers in Q1 (along with $170 billion in market value over the last year), Netflix is moving quickly to launch an ad-supported tier of streaming service by the end of 2022.
- Google announces the first-ever Pixel Watch. The new smartwatch will launch this year alongside the Pixel 7 and will integrate with Fitbit accounts.
Working With Clients
When in Doubt, Refer Out
Got a lead you can’t help?
Don’t just send them away…
Refer them to someone else in your network.
Becoming a “connector” helps you build goodwill and social capital with both parties — the lead and the person you refer them to.
Something that often comes back around to you…
Whether it’s a referral fee, a client being referred to you, or something else altogether.
And if you don’t have a network of other service providers you can refer to, it’s time to start building one.
Aim to have at least one person you can refer to for all the services adjacent to yours.
– If you’re a copywriter, get to know someone who runs paid ads
– If you run paid ads, get to know someone who does graphic design or video editing
– If you’re a graphic designer, get to know someone who builds funnels
A bigger network always means more opportunities.
Working For Yourself
If Ifs and Buts Were Candy and Nuts
One of the hallmarks of high-performers in any arena is a high say-do ratio.
When they say they’re gonna do something…
They do it.
Plain and simple.
No ifs, ands, or buts.
Following through on what you say you’re gonna do builds confidence and centers your locus of control.
So if you keep saying you’re gonna…
– apply to more freelance jobs
– start doing cold outreach
– post more on social media
– find a mentor
– go to a live event
– grow your network
– raise your rates
– etc etc
Then do it.
Prove to yourself you are in control.
And save the excuses for later.
From The Paid Ads Gig
The Lazy Media Buyer’s Guide to
Riches Winning Video Ads
Hooks are often what separate winning video ads from creatives that won’t convert.
If you’re producing video ads, or having someone else produce them for you…
Record the first 5 seconds separately from the rest of the video ad.
This way, you can easily transplant new hooks onto an existing video to test new angles.
And what you’ll find is…
A new hook can extend the life of a winning video ad, sometimes by a lot.
Eliminating the need to create entirely new videos from scratch.
Quote of the Day
“I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.”
— Margaret Thatcher