Happy Thursday! Word of mouth always makes for the best marketing. So if you’re enjoying the newsletter, share it with a friend. As a thank you, we’ll send over a free fill-in-the-blanks Upwork proposal template to help you land more gigs. Grab your unique link at the bottom of today’s email to start sharing.
Mentioned in today’s issue: Twitter, Shopify Collabs, Amazon, and TikTok. Plus what most freelancers forget when interviewing for a new gig, why it pays to have a phone with some juice, and how to build landing pages on the cheap.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes and 5 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Twitter launches Conversion API and purchase optimization. The platform’s ad features have historically lagged behind its competitors at Meta and Google. But this new update introduces a much-needed server-side connection as well as a few other tools that will come in handy, especially for those experimenting with Twitter’s new shopping features.
- Shopify Collabs connects with creators with monetization opportunities. If you’re a creator who’s still waiting for big brands to beat down your door, now you can go on offense with Shopify’s latest Collabs feature. It allows creators to connect directly with sellers to promote products.
- Amazon is the latest to copy TikTok’s feed. The company is reportedly testing a vertical photo and video feed called “Inspire” internally that mirrors the TikTok experience.
Working With Clients
When the Client Says They’ve Always Had Bad Luck With Freelancers
When you speak with a prospective client, you’re interviewing them as much as they’re interviewing you.
Most freelancers tend to forget this.
Specifically, you should be on the lookout for major red flags.
Here are 3 to watch out for:
1) Previous bad experiences
Most people have had bad experiences with hiring freelancers.
But if a prospective client goes on and on about all the terrible people they’ve hired in the past…
That’s a hard pass for us.
2) Unrealistic demands about availability
As a freelancer, you’ll typically be juggling multiple clients.
So new clients shouldn’t expect you to be available 24/7.
If they’re blowing you up on evenings and weekends…
Don’t stand for it.
3) They don’t pay on time
There’s nothing worse than having to hound someone to get you paid.
Especially if you’ve turned in your work as promised.
Timely payments create a sacred bond of trust between client and freelancer.
If they’re always late, let ‘em go 👋
Working For Yourself
Why it Pays to Have a Phone With Juice
One of the biggest benefits of working remotely is being able to shift your schedule to suit your lifestyle.
Whether that’s running errands in the middle of the day…
Hitting the gym at the precise moment that all the squat racks are free…
Or just taking a much-needed break from staring at the screen.
But as you may know…
Stepping away from the computer instantly increases the chance you’ll be needed for something by approximately 92.47%.
Especially if all’s been quiet.
So, here’s how to make sure you’re ready for anything:
Download all work apps on your phone so you can be available even when you’re away from the computer.
- Google Drive
- Ads Manager
Get everything you could possibly need to communicate or collaborate.
This way, you can step outside with peace of mind.
… Assuming you’re not still rocking a 4th-gen iPhone with a cracked screen, that is 😉
Tools We Love
How to Build Landers On the Cheap
Looking for a low-cost landing page builder?
Check out GeneratePress.
It’s a fast and free WordPress theme that makes setting up a clean yet professional-looking website quick and easy.
But more importantly, they’ve recently rolled out a free block-based builder called GenerateBlocks.
This new add-on is perfect for building high-converting, mobile-friendly landers cheaply and easily.
So if you (or your client) is looking for a cheaper alternative to ClickFunnels or Kartra…
Click below to check it out:
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Canva Case Study Template and designed infographic style charts, callouts, and graphs
- Graphic Designer: Clothing Adobe Illustrator| Photoshop
- Conversion content curator for lead magnet
- Expert Copywriter | Website Content, Articles, and Content that Sells
- Mindbody – Automated Marketing Campaign
- Google & Instagram Ads
Quote of the Day
“I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.”
— Estée Lauder