Happy Monday! Today marks the 32nd anniversary of the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope. It only cost $2 billion to make, while its big brother, James Webb Space Telescope, cost $10 billion. Early images from the JWST look better than expected as it completes the seventh and final step of the mirror alignment process.
In the meantime, here’s what’s happening planet-side…
Digital Marketing News
- Twitter’s board meets with Elon Musk to discuss a deal. The NYT reports that negotiations ran into the wee hours of Monday morning, and that a deal may be close.
- Google’s new assistive writing feature needs some fine-tuning. Designed to compete with apps like Grammarly, the AI-powered feature aims to make your writing punchier and easier to read. But it also includes some inclusive language warnings that you’ll probably want to ignore.
- CNN+ shuts down after a month and $300M invested. The new streaming service is being shuttered after CNN’s new parent company, Warner Bros. Discovery, decided it wasn’t viable. That sure puts a few of our failed side hustles into perspective.
Working With Clients
Don’t Overcomplicate It
If you’re a new freelancer looking to land clients…
You’ve got two choices:
Go fishing in the equivalent of the Atlantic Ocean by trying to persuade any and every business owner out there to hire you…
Or go to a small pond where the density of fish is much higher.
Where do you think your chances are better?
The small pond, of course.
And that’s exactly what freelancing platforms are.
Places like Upwork and Fiverr are where you can find paying clients looking to hire right now.
So if you’re just getting started…
Don’t waste your time messaging random strangers on Facebook or LinkedIn.
Focus on freelancing platforms instead.
Then aim to take your work off the platform once you’ve built strong relationships.
Plus, if you share the newsletter with someone, we’ll send you a free fill-in-the-blanks Upwork job proposal template. More details on that below 👇
Working For Yourself
Files Gone Wild
If you’re looking for ways to work faster + get more stuff done in less time…
Keeping your digital workspace organized is just as important as keeping your physical workspace organized.
Here are a few tips to help you digitally declutter:
- Establish a naming convention for files (ex: [CLIENT] – Document Name – MM/DD/YYYY)
- Create a master folder
- Organize subfolders with numbers (ex: “01. [FOLDER]”)
- Maintain a tracking sheet (with links to all documents for a given project)
- Have a dedicated scratch pad (for quick notes or off the cuff calculations)
From The Paid Ads Gig
An Apple a Day For Media Buyers
Coming up with killer ad ideas doesn’t always require creative genius.
You just have to be savvy enough to save a great ad when you see one in the wild.
Add one new ad to your swipe file every day and you’ll never lack for creative ideas.
Whether it’s going to the Facebook Ad Library and checking in on your favorite advertisers (because you do keep a list of them, right?)…
Or simply grabbing a screenshot when you see a banger in your news feed….
It only takes a few minutes each day.
Quote of the Day
“There is only one way to avoid criticism: Do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”