Happy Tuesday! Welcome back to The Gig, the daily newsletter helping freelancers go beyond the 9 to 5 and conquer the gig economy.
Mentioned in today’s issue: Upwork, HubSpot, and Big Tech. Plus what not to say when you get a lead you can’t help, why following your passion isn’t always a good idea, and a tell-tale sign your lander won’t convert.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes and 12 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Top 10 most in-demand marketing skills on Upwork revealed. Wondering what marketing skills are in highest demand on our favorite freelancing platform? See the list here so you can add some of them to your saved searches.
- HubSpot study reveals the best time to send marketing emails is 9 AM – 12 PM. Both B2C and B2B marketers reported this morning window drove the most engagement, followed by 12-3 PM.
- Strong U.S. dollar hurts Big Tech companies. As the dollar gets stronger against foreign currencies, companies like Netflix, Google, IBM, and Microsoft are making less from selling their products & services in foreign markets.
Working With Clients
What NOT to Say When You Get a Lead You Can’t Help…
Got a lead you can’t help?
Don’t just send them away…
Refer them to someone else in your network.
Becoming a “connector” helps you build goodwill and social capital with both parties — the lead and the person you refer them to.
Something that often comes back around to you…
Whether it’s a referral fee, a client being referred to you, or something else altogether.
And if you don’t have a network of other service providers you can refer to, it’s time to start building one.
Aim to have at least one person you can refer to for all the services adjacent to yours.
– If you’re a copywriter, get to know someone who runs paid ads
– If you run paid ads, get to know someone who does graphic design or video editing
– If you’re a graphic designer, get to know someone who builds funnels
A bigger network always means more opportunities.
Working For Yourself
Why “Follow Your Passion” Isn’t Always a Good Idea
Finding fulfillment is something many freelancers struggle with in their careers.
If you’re one of them…
Look for work that aligns with these three things:
1 – What you enjoy doing 🙂
2 – What you’re good at 💪
3 – What you can get paid for 💰
We like to think of this as the “fulfillment trifecta.”
Pursuing a paycheck at the cost of personal enjoyment is just as bad as choosing a career you enjoy or are good at, but has minimal market demand.
The road to happiness starts by finding alignment between all three.
Tools We Love
If Your Lander Has Prospects Doing THIS, it Won’t Convert
There’s nothing worse than helping a client with the copy, design, or strategy for a new offer…
Only to find out the landing page doesn’t convert.
But before you scrap it and go back to the drawing board, make sure to test the page speed.
According to HubSpot, website conversion rates drop by an average of 4.42% with each added second of load time.
And in our experience, most hosting providers are not built for speed.
That’s why we use Kinsta to host our WordPress websites.
Their global content delivery network includes servers in 200+ cities worldwide to give you blazing fast page speed…
So you can maximize conversions, sales, and profits.
Join 24,200+ companies who’ve made the switch to better, faster hosting with Kinsta today.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Graphic Designer to create universal music playlist covers, social media posts, and in-app banners
- Freelance Writer – B2B Tech Solutions
- Graphic designer needed for video design templates
- Premium writers needed for music blog!
- TikTok Ads Media Buyer for Agency (eCommerce Brands)
- Lead generation with Google Adwords & Linkedin
Quote of the Day
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”
— Albert Einstein
- Monday: 💔 0 likes