Happy Monday! Welcome back to The Gig — the daily email helping freelancers go beyond the 9 to 5 and build profitable client businesses.
Mentioned in today’s edition: Twitter, Amazon, Mastodon, Tumblr, and CounterSocial. Plus 5 simple tips to land more clients on Upwork, walkie talkie productivity, and two key ingredients to cook up copy that converts every time.
Read time: 4 minutes and 20 seconds
Making the Rounds
- Impersonators force Twitter to stop giving out blue check marks. Elon’s play to boost Twitter’s subscription revenue is off to a rocky start: the company removed its Twitter Blue service from iOS devices on Friday after accounts impersonating LeBron James, George Bush, drugmaker Eli Lilly and others used their blue check to wreak havoc on the platform.
- Amazon makes more money from ads than Prime and Audible combined. Don’t look now, but the ecom king has quietly turned their advertising business into a certified powerhouse. The company now earns more revenue from ads than it does from Prime, Prime Video, and Audible combined. That should help foot the bill for their $1B LOTR reboot.
- Small social apps get a big boost from Elon’s Twitter takeover. Alternative social apps like Mastodon, Tumblr, and CounterSocial are seeing huge leaps in app installs in the wake of Musk’s acquisition of Twitter, according to new data from SensorTower.
Working With Clients
5 Simple Tips to Land More Clients on Upwork
Upwork has 5M+ client accounts and 100,000+ open jobs on a daily basis.
It’s our favorite freelancing platform by a country mile.
So if you need help landing clients…
Try these 5 hacks to start crushing it.
1 – Check it every day
Most clients on Upwork are looking to hire ASAP, so the faster you can respond, the better your chances are.
Make it a habit of checking for new gigs at least once a day.
2 – Submit relevant samples
The #1 most important factor in a winning proposal is relevance:
– task relevance
– niche or market relevance
If you’re applying for an email copywriting gig in the health niche, submit email samples in the health niche. Or if you’re applying for a video editing gig in the biz opp space, submit biz opp video samples.
3 – Create custom samples if you don’t have relevant ones
Don’t have relevant samples to submit?
Take the time to create some. Especially if you’re new to the platform.
The purpose of submitting relevant samples is so clients don’t have to imagine what your work will be like in a different medium or market.
This is an easy way to get your reps in too.
Paint the picture for them.
That’s how you get hired.
4 – Ask for reviews
One of the biggest benefits to freelancing on Upwork is the social proof.
So you should be doing everything you can to over deliver and provide a 5-star experience to clients.
Then make a personal appeal for an honest review (not just a rating) when the job is done.
Every 5-star review you get makes the next client easier to land.
5 – Don’t be afraid to apply to older jobs
Even though you’re much more likely to get hired for jobs that have just been posted…
Don’t be afraid to apply to older jobs either.
Sometimes clients aren’t able to interview people right away, and by the time they are, the freelancers they wanted are booked or don’t respond.
And sometimes clients just don’t get any good applications.
We’ve had a lot of success applying to older jobs with something like:
“Hey, I can see this job has been open for XX days, but I wanted to apply anyway just in case you weren’t able to find the right freelancer the first time around.”
The results may surprise you.
Working For Yourself
Walkie Talkie Productivity
Meetings can be a major timesuck.
Especially if you’re collaborating across different time zones.
So if you want to protect your time and maximize efficiency…
Focus on asynchronous communication instead.
What is asynchronous communication?
It’s any one-way message where the sender and recipient are not synchronized.
- Voice notes
- Screencast videos
The benefits of using voice notes or screencast videos over written messages are that it’s much easier to provide context and illustrate your point…
Plus hearing someone’s voice or seeing their face helps build a stronger connection.
When it comes to recording screencast videos, our weapon of choice is SnagIt.
Loom is another popular one that lets you record up to 5 minutes per video for free.
And nowadays, most messaging apps like Slack, WhatsApp, and Telegram have voice notes as a built-in feature.
Just do your best to keep your voice notes short and punchy.
Otherwise, your colleagues may come to dread them 🙃
From The Copywriting Gig
Two Key Ingredients to Cook Up Copy That Converts Every Time
Humans are emotional beings.
And the limbic system (where we process emotions in the brain) is a key factor in helping us make decisions.
In fact, UCLA neuroscientist Antonio Damasio once had a patient who, after having a tumor removed, couldn’t make decisions because he was unable to process emotions.
Talk about analysis paralysis.
But a common mistake in copywriting is to focus exclusively on the emotional side…
And ignore the logical side.
That’s why it’s important to win both the hearts and minds of your prospects.
To win their hearts…
Focus on how it feels to be struggling with the problem (shame, guilt, embarrassment, envy, etc) AND what it will ultimately feel like to solve it (confidence, happiness, freedom, etc)
Then, to win their minds, focus on why your solution is the smartest and most logical choice (how it will save them time + money, make them look smart, is discounted for a limited time only, etc).
A winning offer or marketing campaign always has both.
Looking for clients? These freelance jobs were posted on Upwork in the last 24 hours:
- Graphic Designer – Social Media Ads and Email Blasts
- YouTube Thumbnail Designer
- Looking for Copywriter with Amazon Listing Optimization experience
- Content Writer
- Google ad manager for medical spa
- Facebook ad specialist needed for product launch
Other Reads You’ll Enjoy
On the hunt for more high-value content in your inbox? Check out some of our top picks below:
- TheFutureParty: Read the stories driving the future, delivered in a quick and witty package to 100,000+ creative professionals every day.
- Creator Wizard: Join 7,127+ creators getting paid sponsorship opportunities every Monday & Thursday.
- 1440 Media: Daily news designed to be the fastest way to an impartial point-of-view.
Quote of the Day
“The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.”
— Stephen Covey